Monday, June 11, 2012

West Tennessee

West Tennessee

 June 3 - 7

Our first day involved an easy drive from Lotterdale Cove to the Natchez Trace State Park, about an hour west of Nashville on I-40.   We stayed at the Pin Oak Campground which was built in 2000 and had very nice full hook ups (which include, electric, sewer, and water). 



Dad chose this campground because we could leave the Newell for the day and visit some of our family in the surrounding areas. As we drove into the State Park on a narrow-ish two lane highway, I was highly suspicious (little did I know what we would be getting into later...). I tend to be a very cautious person ("safe and NOT dangerous," and "slow driving = safe driving" are my favorite sayings). Anyway, the camping area was quite nice with a sturdy bathhouse and plenty of room for our big rig. There was time to relax and explore the park. Within the park boundaries there were horses, lakes, villas, and more than one campground. I definitely recommend it for anyone in the Nashville area who wants a quiet weekend away. 

There was a Robin's nest with eggs at the ranger station at Pin Oak Campground. 

Driving my Uncle Steve's lawn mower.

Because of the central location of this RV park, Dad and I were able to take the Jeep and visit family in both Murray, KY, and Jackson, TN. We drove 80 miles to Murray to visit Dad's father (Papa Lee), and my Uncle Steve and Aunt Beth for the day. It's always great to catch up with family and get even more recommendations for the trip. Taking the Jeep is  easy and less stressful, allowing us to take day trips.



Amy and I after breakfast in Jackson, TN.


My cousin, Amy, lives and works in Jackson so on Tuesday (June 5), we took the Jeep to Jackson for breakfast and had a lovely early morning with her. Even though we would be passing Jackson later in the afternoon on the way to Memphis, we went in the Jeep to avoid stress and the uncertainty of where to put the thing while we stopped to eat. SAFE NOT DANGEROUS!!! It's a common theme.....









West Tennessee (Part II) 

 The good news is - we survived Memphis! And ate BBQ! 

Memphis was quite a treat (seriously, not a joke). Tom Sawyer's Mississippi River RV Park where we stayed was actually in West Memphis, AK.  This park was on a medium sized highway, tucked away, and BEAUTIFUL! We had a very long, pull through spot overlooking the Mississippi River. Dad really enjoyed the numerous barges we saw, and I loved the BBQ we ate (both nights!) The park is also set up for tent campers, trailers, etc. It's just off of I-40 west and would be a terrific weekend getaway for anyone tired of Memphis. 

Entrance to the RV park 
Awkward tourist in my own home state


Gorgeous picture of the Memphis Bridge from Mud Island 

 In the Fall of 2011, I went to visit Kelsey Anito in Memphis, and she introduced me to the BEST BBQ EVER at Rendezvous. This is where we ate both nights we were in Memphis...it's a MUST see. Even though capacity is 745 people,  there is a wait   every night. Although I am 100% sure the  parking garage took us on some extra money, the food was well worth it. It's a tricky spot to get to via the GPS since it's in an alley, but easy enough to walk to once   parked. Thanks, Charlie Vergos! 







The following pictures give an idea of the set up of the park and the amazing view we had. This park was TOTALLY flooded and closed for two months in 2011. It was hard to imagine the flooding because of the size of the Mississippi River. 

Because the park was so flat, Dad and I spent time riding our bikes around and looking at other rigs. We met a couple in a motorhome from Florida (shocker!) who had a little Westie, like our Beemer. We swapped stories back and forth with them for a while.
The weather was just to die for! I couldn't believe it. There wasn't the Memphis blast of heat like I have experienced previously, and there was even a lovely breeze most of the day. Dad and I were able to play a few games of Yahtzee and War outside on the picnic table and do a little trip planning. 


 

We left early early in the morning on June 7th with what we thought were easy peasy directions to the Ozarks. Whoopsie.....



1 comment:

  1. YAY memphis! wish I had been there to eat!! LOVE YA'LL!!

    ReplyDelete